Dermal fillers have become popular in recent years as a non-invasive way to restore volume and youthfulness to the face. These injectable treatments can smooth out wrinkles, plump the lips, and enhance facial contours for a more refreshed and rejuvenated appearance. With so many different dermal fillers available, each with unique benefits, it can be overwhelming to know where to start.
Brief History Of Dermal Fillers
For almost a century, dermal fillers have been utilized for cosmetic purposes. The first dermal fillers were made from liquid paraffin, beeswax, and even silicone injections.
However, these early versions of dermal fillers were associated with several complications, including infections, granuloma formation, and allergic reactions. Over time, safer and more effective materials have been developed, making dermal fillers one of today’s most popular non-surgical cosmetic procedures.
What Kinds of Dermal Fillers Are There?
Several dermal fillers are available, each with unique properties and benefits. Here are some of the most often-used dermal fillers:
- Hyaluronic Acid (HA) Fillers
- Calcium Hydroxylapatite (CaHA) Fillers
- Poly-L-Lactic Acid (PLLA) Fillers
- Polymethylmethacrylate (PMMA) Fillers
- Autologous Fat Transfer
Each type of dermal filler has unique benefits and drawbacks, and the best type will depend on individual needs and goals.
What are Dermal Fillers Made Of, And How Do They Work?
Dermal fillers are composed of various materials that can be injected into the skin to restore volume, smooth wrinkles, and enhance facial features. Here are explanations of common ingredients in dermal fillers:
- Hyaluronic Acid (HA). This is a naturally occurring sugar molecule in our skin, making it a popular choice for dermal fillers. HA attracts and retains water, helping to plump up and hydrate the skin.
- Calcium Hydroxylapatite (CaHA). This ingredient is made from calcium and phosphate ions, also naturally found in our bodies. CaHA helps to stimulate collagen production, giving the skin a firmer and more youthful appearance.
- Poly-L-lactic Acid (PLLA). This synthetic material stimulates collagen production in the skin, helping improve its elasticity and firmness.
- Polymethylmethacrylate (PMMA). This synthetic material is used to create a long-lasting filler effect. PMMA microspheres are suspended in a gel-like substance, which is injected into the skin to create volume.
- Autologous fat transfer. To add volume, fat is extracted from one part of the body and injected into another.
What Are The Common Uses for Dermal Fillers?
- Getting rid of fine lines and wrinkles. Dermal fillers can fill in lines and wrinkles on the face, particularly around the eyes, mouth, and forehead.
- Restoring volume to the front. As we age, we lose volume, particularly in the cheeks, temples, and jawline. Dermal fillers can restore this lost volume, giving the face a youthful appearance.
- Enhancing lips. Dermal fillers can plump up thin lips or give lips a more defined shape.
- Correcting facial asymmetry. Dermal fillers can correct facial asymmetries, such as unevenness in the cheeks or chin.
- Enhancing the appearance of scars. Dermal fillers can fill in depressed scars, making them less noticeable.
- Contouring the face. Dermal fillers can contour the face, particularly the cheeks and jawline, which gives the face a more sculpted appearance.
What To Expect About The Procedure?
A topical anesthetic may be applied during the dermal filler procedure to minimize discomfort. The injections typically take only a few minutes, which is generally quick and easy. After the procedure, some side effects may be bruising, redness, or swelling in the treated area, but these should usually subside within a few days.
Following any aftercare instructions provided by the healthcare provider is essential, such as avoiding touching or rubbing the treated area, avoiding strenuous exercise, and avoiding alcohol and blood-thinning medications for a few days. It is also recommended to use sun protection to prevent discoloration or damage to the treated area.
The dermal filler results can vary depending on the individual and the type of filler used but generally last between six months to two years. Follow-up appointments may be recommended to assess the results and determine if additional treatments are necessary. While dermal fillers can enhance one’s appearance and provide a youthful glow, they should only be performed by a trained and licensed healthcare professional to ensure safety and optimal results.
What Are The Possible Side Effects?
Similar to any medical procedure, there are potential side effects associated with dermal fillers. While many patients experience no problems, knowing the risks before the treatment is essential. Some common risks and side effects of dermal fillers include:
- Allergic reactions
- Lump formation
Before undergoing this treatment, discussing any concerns or potential risks with the provider is highly recommended. Additionally, following proper aftercare instructions can help minimize the risk of complications.
How To Choose The Right Provider For The Dermal Filler Treatment?
While dermal fillers are considered safe and effective when administered by a competent practitioner, selecting the correct provider is critical to ensuring outstanding results and minimizing the risk of issues. The following are some crucial aspects to consider when choosing a provider for your dermal filler treatment:
- Credentials and experience
- Reputation and reviews
- Consultation process
- Safety measures
- Cost and value
Considering these key factors, the right provider for dermal filler treatment can help achieve safe and satisfying results. Always research and select a provider who puts safety and satisfaction first.
Final Thoughts And Recommendations
Dermal fillers are a standard cosmetic services option for individuals seeking to improve their facial features’ appearance and fight the effects of age. Envi Aesthetics offers dermal fillers made of Hyaluronic Acid, a safe, natural injectable product that restores volume in folds and fine lines, soften wrinkles and scars, plump lips and contour and add definition to the face through filler injections. Ultimately, the highly trained and experienced practitioners at Envi Aesthetics use only the highest quality products and the most advanced techniques to deliver safe, effective, and natural-looking results.